It's Sunday, which means its time for the next update! I'm much more excited to write this update than the last one. There's lots to show!
I've reverted the Flop-shark attack back to its original attack, after I realised that the grab attacks were not meant to be. However, this time the damage is not dealt when the player get close enough. Connor spent some time thinking about how to represent the attack and thought it would be better to do it with traditional frame-by-frame animation. I agreed as this means I no longer have to animate the jaw procedurally and it begins to achieve the mixed animation style we are going for. So now, the damage is dealt if the player is in range on the jaw closing frame of the animation. Initially, this made it too easy to dodge as the range was too short. I am still trying to find the best distance for this range but overall this attack is better.
Both Connor and I have been playing around with the visuals. The Shark now has some nice highlights and a bit of wear and tear. I've added line-renderers to better connect some of the more manoeuvrable parts of the shark and have tried out some new sprites on the shark arms. We also thought it would be a good idea to put some interest into the background again so I've thrown together a basic circuit-like tile set for the background.
I've had a go at making the particle effects I use for the infest orb more like Connors concepts. I reduced the bubbling effect and added in a swirling trail which makes it seem more spherical if you look closely. I have also changed the way it goes red. In the last post, I was just using an additive material to change the colourless orb that was already there. Now, I've created a duplicate of the colourless orb and changed the colour of the individual assets that make it up. I think it looks so much better!
The last thing to note is I've stopped doing 60fps GIFs. The main reason for this is that they always seems to play faster than the actual game and I can't figure out why they do this or how to fix it. Another reason is I can now make longer GIFs, yay! You can see the difference between the first GIF, which is 60fps, and the rest of them on this post, which are 30fps with a slightly tweaked playback speed. I will be tweaking the settings a bit more to get better accuracy.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this update! Leave a comment if you have some feedback and share if you like this development log!
I'm the game developer for Squillamorph. I'll post here on the devlog as often as I can.