Just a short update for this week!
I've been working hard to make it easier for my future self to program new features into the game. I've now got a few things setup using inheritance such as a creature parent class, which the Flop Shark inherits from. This will make it much easier for me to create more creatures! I've also completely reworked the player dash mechanic. Rather than using collision and moving the player with velocity, the position is now lerped between a calculated start and end position. It is much more accurate and now there is no screen jitter from bad collision.
So apart from the less noticeable behind-the-scenes changes, I've implemented a leap mechanic for the shark (still needs a bit of tweaking though). It adds a whole new way of using the shark to traverse the environment! Talking of environments, the team and I had a big discussion about the first main level on Monday. Don't want to spoil anything but know that we have a lot of exciting things planned!
Something else I did this week is set up a HacknPlan project for the game, which I highly recommend to any game developers reading this. While I haven't planned everything yet, we now have a great way of scheduling our time to hit those all important project milestones!
I'm sorry I didn't have anything more visually interesting for this update. I've focused so much on programming and fixing problems that I haven't had a good chance to work on the visuals. You'll see some new things soon though, there's some interesting concepts in the work!
I'm the game developer for Squillamorph! I'll post here on the devlog as often as I can.