Hey everyone, this week's post will be shorter than normal. I'm currently working on 3 projects, one of them being Squillamorph, and its proving difficult to progress them all as much as I'd like.
So the level has had to shrink in size, again. The main reason for this was we felt it was too large to work with and was still too easy to get lost in. I am still tweaking the design but we are now much closer to a final version. I have also removed the lights I was experimenting with last week. We felt that they weren't thought out well enough and detracted from the overall design. I will revisit the lighting but not until we have made significant progress with scenery assets.
Oh boy, this was inevitable really. I am having to revisit the pathfinding, again. The current heat map solution I previously discussed is causing performance issues in larger spaces. As such, I have attempted to rework the A* pathfinding method I was originally using. However, despite the improvements to this method I am getting worse performance than my heat map method. Unfortunately, I have yet to solve this problem but I am enjoying the challenge of it. What this might mean for the project is less visual updates until I can properly finish the core features like the pathfinding.
I apologise for the lack of visual content in this post. I will attempt to have more for the next one. Nonetheless, I hope you found this interesting!
I'm the game developer for Squillamorph. I'll post here on the devlog as often as I can.