Hello everyone, the progress I've made over the past week has been great. I've had to ramp up the development speed of Squillamorph for a really cool reason.
Thanks to our university course leader, who is in charge of the incubator program we are a part of, we have been given a stand at EGX Rezzed in London! I will be there on all three days with Squillamorph available to play! However, this means we have to have a decent chunk of gameplay finished to a playable point. As we have less than a month until it needs to be ready, I am going full on with development and we are now at a point where we can do some proper play-testing. We now have a half decent tutorial and the first level for the Flop-sharks. I've also created a top ten player leaderboard system to create some replay-ability and competitiveness which I hope will work well. I would like to get a boss done but this is unlikely at the moment because we have to fix the major issues and make sure that the main levels are fun.
I've previously talked about the issues the game has had and how these can be game and/or immersion breaking problems so I spent a few days trying to get them fixed quickly. You can probably guess that it was mostly the custom physics and collision that caused the most issues, based on the number of times I've talked about it previously! I found out that the last solution I implemented to fix the collision was actually causing a whole new set of problems. So I've tried to add in a solution to stop those problems. As expected, I haven't managed to eradicate all the issues but I would say they've been mostly fixed. The game also seems to perform well now despite the tendencies it has previously had not to. The only side effect of fixing some of these issues is that the enemies are a tad floppier than before but I will tweak this if needed.
So after last week's post, I implemented the new points based level progression which works nicely. However, I need to discuss a better way of executing this with the team. This is mainly because we want to make the exit to the next level an optional path so that players can try to reach a high-score in levels if they want to. As of right now, an exit trapdoor opens in the centre of the level and enemies or the player can accidentally fall down. This isn't ideal but for a quick implementation it's alright.
I've been telling myself I'd do some of these for ages but haven't done so until now. The first visual addition I made was the player spawn animation. I've had the electricity particle system in the game for a while but it was a bit bland. I spiced it up by making it emit more particles as time goes on and using a particle force field to focus the particles onto the spawn area. I also used another particle system, with the force field and also the metaballs effect I use for the player, to create the dripping blobs effect. The next effect I added is a flash on the enemies to show when they take damage. This has been needed for ages and, although simple, works really well. Lastly I added a small visual cue to show when the player dash ability can be used again. This may not be needed so I will change/remove it after testing if requested.
Overall, progress lately has been great. We are now on track to have a decent playable build ready for Rezzed. Hopefully, I'll have time to implement a boss but we shall see. Anyway, thanks for reading and I'll have more to share with you next week!
I'm the game developer for Squillamorph! I'll post here on the devlog as often as I can.